Strength training is generally done to increase strength and muscle mass, strengthen joints, and increase stamina. However, before starting strength training, it is recommended that you first learn the types and techniques of strength training that are suitable for training the muscles of your body.
To reduce the risk of injury and maximize the benefits of strength training, you are advised to do strength training in stages 2 times per week, but not within 2 consecutive days.
You can set a training schedule, for example on Monday and Thursday or Tuesday and Friday, according to your availability.
Strength training can be done in the fitness center (gym) or at home with simple equipment. It’s just that you need to remember, before doing strength training, you must first warm up in the form of brisk walking or stretching for 5-10 minutes.
Benefits derived from strength training
Not only does it increase muscle strength and endurance, strength training can also provide the following benefits:
- Streamlining blood circulation
- Increase metabolism and maintain body function
- Increase bone density and strength
- Maintain flexibility and balance of the body
- Improve body posture
Reducing the risk of certain diseases, such as heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, obesity, and back pain
- Improve sleep quality and prevent insomnia
- Increase self confidence
- Maintain ideal body weight
- Improve mood
However, you need to remember, these benefits can not be obtained instantly. To get the benefits of strength training, you need to do it regularly and adopt a healthy lifestyle, such as eating a balanced nutritious diet, getting enough rest, avoiding stress, and not smoking.
Types of Strength Training
The following are some types of strength training that you can do without the help of special tools:
Push-ups are a type of strength training that you can do at home without the need for tools. This exercise utilizes body weight to strengthen the chest muscles, arms, shoulders, and stomach. In addition, push-ups are also good for maintaining heart health.
The following is the correct way to do push-ups:
- Begin by lying on your stomach.
- Straighten your arms shoulder width apart, resting on your palms, while your legs rest on your toes.
- Keep the body in a straight line, from the head, back to the feet.
- Inhale and lower your body slowly by bending your elbows to form a 90 degree angle and chest close to the floor.
- Lift the body and straighten the elbows back to their original position.
Do push-ups 10 times (counted 1 set), and repeat 2-3 sets.
Plank is a type of exercise that can tighten the back muscles, chest, abdomen, and shoulders. Plank exercises are simple and easy to do, here’s how:
- Start with the prone body position.
- Use your forearms and toes to support the body.
- Make sure your body is upright, from head to toe.
- Adjust the breath and hold the position for 10-30 seconds, then lower your body again. If you are used to it, you can hold the plank position for about 1 minute.
Sit-up exercises can strengthen and tighten the abdominal muscles, hips, lower back, and neck. The following is how to do it:
- Lie on the floor in a supine position with knees bent and soles of the feet touching the floor.
- Lift your body to the knee while exhaling.
- Lower your body back to the floor slowly while inhaling.
- Do this exercise 10 times (counted as 1 set) and repeat 2-3 sets.
In addition to some simple exercises above, you can also train your body’s muscle strength by doing squat jumps or jumping rope.
Strength Training Performed at Fitness
There are some strength training that require special tools. Usually the tools to train the strength of the body are available at the gym, but you can also buy the equipment for exercise at home.
To do this exercise, you should be accompanied by an experienced fitness instructor so that you can use a variety of exercise equipment appropriately.
The following are some strength exercises performed at the gym:
Pull-up is a movement to lift the body with the position of the body hanging and hands gripping the horizontal pole. This movement aims to increase the strength and endurance of the upper body muscles, including the hands, arms, shoulders, back, chest, and abdomen.
2. Bench press
Bench press is done by lifting the barbell in a reclining position. This exercise aims to tighten the chest muscles, shoulders, and arms. If you have never done a bench press before, you should do this strength training under the supervision of a fitness instructor.
When doing this exercise, the instructor will guide you so that you are not wrong in doing the exercise movements and choose a weights that are suitable for your body’s abilities.
3. Seated cable row
This exercise requires a cable station tool that is used by pulling. The use of this tool is adjusted to the user’s body weight and aims to tighten the back muscles and forearms.
Seated cable row exercises can be done in the following ways:
- Sit straight on the exercise tool and place both feet on the floor, then straighten both arms to hold the tool grip. Try to keep the shoulder muscles relaxed and hold the abdominal muscles.
- Inhale and exhale while pulling the handle of the tool. When pulling the tool, keep your back straight and shoulders straight.
- Repeat this exercise up to 12-15 times.
In addition to the exercises above, there are many tools or other types of exercise movements that can be done to strengthen certain parts of the body’s muscles.